RULES OF THE CONTEST
1. The contest is open to poets of all nationalities, age 28 and below.
2. There are three divisions in the awards:
a) Filipino b) English c) Chinese
3. An entry must consist of at least eight (8) but not more than twelve (12) poems for the Filipino and English divisions, and at least five (5) but not more than eight (8) for the Chinese division.
4. Authors may join all the divisions but can submit only one (1) entry in every division.
5. All entries should be original in every language and not a translation of another entry.
6. A work which has been awarded a prize in another contest is not qualified for the awards.
7. Published or unpublished works may be entered in the contest. If published, the date of publication should be within 2018-2019.
8. All entries should be submitted in four (4) copies, double spaced on 8 ½ x 11 inches bond paper with one-inch margin on all sides and the page number typed consecutively, e.g., 1 of 10, 2 of 10, and so on.
9. Font should be ARIAL or TIMES NEW ROMAN, and the font size should be 12.
10. Entries should be submitted with pen name only and not real name. Real name and pen name should be submitted in a separate sealed envelop together with a biodata, copy of birth certificate, 2” x 2” photo and a notarized declaration of originality and authenticity of authorship of the entry.
11. Entries must be mailed or couriered to the Maningning Miclat Art Foundation, Inc. (MMAFI), # 516 Pacific Century Tower, 1472-76 Quezon Avenue, South Triangle, 1103 Quezon City, Philippines, not later than April 30, 2019.
12. Entries submitted via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) should be a Word Document file and should be sent as an attachment together with the author’s biodata and scanned copies of birth certificate, 2” x 2” photo and notarized certification of originality or authenticity of authorship of entry. However, official entry of four (4) hard copies of the poem collection with the original copy of the notarized certification must be sent to the above address (#11) to qualify for the contest.
13. Submitted copies of winning entries shall remain with and become the property of MMAFI. Copyright of the work remains with the author but the latter grants, assigns and transfers unto MMAFI the right without necessity of any payment other than the prize which may have been awarded to publish any winning entry or selection or portion thereof as it may at its discretion determine; to make the work available for downloading on the Internet or other electronic medium; and /or to allow students to make copies for research or school requirements.
14. Plagiarism is anathema to the contest and MMAFI has the right of action against the author if it is discovered that said person is not the creator or owner of the copyright to the winning work. The Foundation shall not be liable to any court action if a third party files a case against the winner who plagiarized the work of the said third party.
15. There will only be one Grand Prize winner for each division and the prize is PhP 28,000.00 and a Julie Lluch sculpture trophy per winning entry. The grand winners and the 2nd and 3rd Prize for each division will receive copies of the books Voice from the Underworld (Maningning C. Miclat, Anvil, 2000, 2002, 2018), Fairground: A Literary Feast (Edited by Gémino H. Abad & Alma Cruz Miclat, MMAFI & Erehwon Center for the Arts, 2014), and Soul Searchers & Dreamers: Artists’ Profiles (Alma Cruz Miclat, MMAFI & Erehwon Center for the Arts, 2015).
16. The Board of Judges shall have the discretion not to award any prize if in its judgment, no meritorious entry had been submitted.
17. MMAFI has the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges in each division of the contest. The decision of the Board of Judges in all divisions shall be final.
18. The names of the winners and the members of the Board of Judges shall be announced in September 2019.